Back to School
Back to School 2017-2018
Welcome! On this page you will find important information and dates to help you sail through the start of the school. Remember, do not hesitate with your questions! Call the school office at 344-0805. We can't wait to see all of our students!Expand All
- New Parents Night: Tuesday, August 8 at 4 p.m. Be on the lookout for your invitation if you are a new parent at St. James!
- You will receive your child's monogrammed tote bag (students in grades Pre-K 3 through Kindergarten).
- Listen to a presentation on important school information (carpool, Parents Guild, Carnival, Dads' Club, etc).
- Take a tour of the Gym before Orientation, so you will know what to expect.
- Meet the administation, Parents Guild officers, Grade Representatives, and School Board members.
- Orientation: Wednesday, August 9 at 8:30 a.m. New Parents can arrive at 8:00 a.m.
- First Day of School: Thursday, August 10 at 8:05
- Early drop-off at 7:30 a.m. at the front doors.
- Carpool begins at 7:50 a.m.
- Afternoon carpool begins at 3:05 p.m.
- Pre-K 3 and Pre-K 4 will have staggered dates for the first two weeks of school, and Kindergarten will have staggered dates for the first week only. If you are not sure what day to attend school, please call the office at 225-344-0805!
Uniforms can be purchased at Inka's Uniforms and School Time Uniforms. They may also be purchased at our Used Uniform Sale at Orientation on Wednesday, August 10. The Early Childhood (Pre-K 3 - Kindergarten) personalized tote bags will be provided for you at New Parents Night. Read our uniform guide for more rules and regulations. See some of the popular uniform items below!
Familiarize yourself with our School Handbook! Learn about everything from carpool procedures to the nutrition program.
Make sure your child has finished their summer reading and summer packets (GRADES 3-5 ONLY)! Have you lost your summer packet and need a new one? Call the front office at 344-0805!
St. James will provide the needed daily supplies for your child. No need to purchase anything!
The only gate open between 7:50 a.m. and 8:15 a.m. is the Fourth Street gate between the church and Parish Hall.
7:30 a.m. - Students arriving early will walk to the cafeteria. You may park, briefly, on Convention St. and walk your child through the front doors of the school. There is no extra fee for early drop-off.
7:50 a.m. - Supervised carpool and playground duty begins, and students may go to the playgrounds.
8:10 a.m. - School day begins
Students arriving after 8:15 a.m. must be accompanied by a parent to the front office to check-in using the check-in system on the lobby
computer and receive a trady slip before going to their class. Only adults should use the check-in system.
10 Things You Should Know:
1.Display your carpool number by HANGING it in the passenger side of your windshield. The St. James Spirit Store sells carpool clips, or, suction cup hooks from Office Depot, or a child’s clip-type clothes hanger works well.
2. Turn off ALL distractions! Send your child off in the morning and greet them in the afternoon with positive attention. Turn off the DVD player. It is difficult to get your child’s attention to get them in and out of the car if a show is playing. Please end your phone calls BEFORE you approach the school; Louisiana RS 32:300.8 prohibits the use of electronic communication devices in a school zone, with limited exceptions; violators are subject to a fine of $175.
3. Please STAY in your vehicle! Let the teachers load and unload your children. Also let your babysitters and grandparents know they need to remain in their cars when in line.
4. Pay attention and follow the deputy’s directions. It is a busy time of day and there are a lot of students to load and unload. The deputy is there to help us out and ensure everyone’s safety.
5. Do NOT cut in line! The front of the carpool line is on Fourth Street. The line wraps around to Convention and can go all the way to the Post Office in the afternoon. Please do not enter the line from Fourth or Fifth Street (or any other side streets). Approach the
school on Convention Street.
6. Pedestrians: Please cross the street at the corners! It is the law and for the children’s safety.
7. The ‘walk up’ carpool line is in front of the school steps on Convention Street. A teacher will come by often to write down your carpool number and call your child. Please keep siblings with you (not running around); we do not want a child falling in front of a vehicle.
8. If you are in a carpool ‘pool’, display the other family’s number alongside yours.
9. Keep the floorboard of your car free of debris! Please make sure trash is secured in your car. Falling paper, flying tissues, rolling pencils, tumbling cups, jumping dogs, etc. create a hazard for the teachers and children.
10. This is an important time in your child’s school day. Help us make it a safe and happy time for everyone by helping us stay efficient and on time!