Strengths & Achievements
Strengths and AchievementsExpand All
- St. James is committed to a low pupil to teacher ratio (ie. small class sizes). It is because of this commitment, that we are so successful at differentiating instruction for all our learners.
- Low teacher to student ratio
- St. James teachers are trained to meet the needs of all the students in their classes.
- Small class size, low teacher student ratios, small group instruction, data analysis, help to prepare our students to be among the best prepared in the city.
- The mission statement's "spiritual formation" is an essential component of the foundation and culture of the school.
- A prayer service and Holy Eucharist are held each week, open to families and the public.
- The St. James priests, always conscious of the integral part they play in the development of students, are highly visible and often interact with both faculty and students.
- The priests are also instrumental in guiding the children in their spiritual, social, and emotional growth through several community service projects each year.
- St. James has one of the state’s only fully-functional, on-campus broadcast studio at the elementary level.
- The teacher is an award-winning State Technology Teacher of the Year.
- Fifth grade students host an entertaining show, twice daily, integrating academic topics, school announcements, and daily lunch menu.
- All grades participate during the year to produce and write scripts. Costumes, often designed by students, further enhance the experience.
- Schools around the region visit St. James to learn how reinforcement of classroom studies can be made engaging and fun through the broadcast studio.
- Science is approached through both classroom instruction and hands-on learning in a state-of-the-art STEM lab.
- This dual approach provides students ample opportunities to hypothesize, observe, investigate, and draw conclusions while applying and connecting learning to real life. The curriculum follows NSTA standards and is aligned throughout the grade levels.
- Technology is integrated through the use of ActivBoards TM, individual iPads, programmable robots, digital microscopes, and zSpace TM.
- Students participate in various engineering lessons by collaborating, designing, and building models.
- Math is integrated into every lesson. Further research opportunities are provided to students who excel in the field through an in-house broadcast studio, wherein students can educate peers about their projects and what they are learning.
- Teachers monitor student understanding through formative assessment to ensure each individual’s comprehension so any necessary re-teaching can occur.
- St. James Episcopal Day School is committed to excellence in the classroom. Our faculty and staff are encouraged to continue to engage in the upgrading of their professional skills through academic courses, in-service workshops, and participation in professional organizations.
- The primary objective of the faculty is always to bring forth the best of each child’s capabilities to learn and to develop in mind, body, and spirit.
- 2009 and 2015 U.S. Department of Education National Blue Ribbon School
- Only school in Baton Rouge to win two Blue Ribbons back to back.
- This award is given by the Department of Education to recognize public and private schools where students perform at a very high level on standardized testing and have rigorous academic programs.
- Top 10% in nation in ERB (Educations Review Board) reading and math scores for the past 10 years.
- Surpassed national independent school goals for ERB (Educational Review Board) reading and math scores for the past 5 years.
- Member of the Southwest Association of Episcopal Schools (SAES).
- Fifth grade teachers selected to present at the Southwestern Association of Episcopal Schools 2015 Conference.
- Broadcast & Resource Technology Teacher, Ms. Alison Kaple, was designated a 2016 PBS LearningMedia Digital Innovator.
- 2017 Let’s Move! Active Schools National Award
Take A Tour
We would love for you to visit our thriving campus. It’s the best way to see what we’re truly all about. Schedule a private tour at any time during the school day and one of our admissions staff will show you around. We are conveniently located in the heart of Downtown Baton Rouge, and you’ll have access to our private parking lot.